Saturday 16 December 2006

Oh, Bugger

Just came across this (via MacUser).

Okay, I suppose it's really good news. I'm just annoyed that after all this time, just as I decide to start doing it someone comes along and beats me to it. Plus, my own OS x86 download is still only about 50% of the way through one week in.

Hmm... I guess it could be a fake. For instance, they mention that the installer isn't optimised for the UMPC's small screen, with the "forward" and "back" buttons not fitting on, and yet in the accompanying pictures they are clearly visible... Sorry. Sour grapes. I'm actually really glad someone has got this working.

Watching the video (the second one on the page, by the way, the first being that equally cool Mac Mini portable from a couple of months ago), two things strike me. The first is that the touch screen seems to be working okay, complete with Inkwell text input (not demonstrated), which is good. The second thing is how incredibly slowly it's running. The Asus R2H has a 900Mhz Celeron M and GMA900 graphics, so you'd expect it to perform a little better than shown.

Anyway, if you'll excuse me I have the innards of an iBook to cry into.